- Dairy cattle in Indiana consume 14 million bushels of corn annually.
- Dairy cattle consume 2.3% of all corn produced in Indiana.
- Dairy products are Indiana’s fourth most valuable agriculture commodity.
- Indiana’s 174,000 dairy cows produce 3.8 billion pounds of milk a year.
- Indiana is home to more than 1,200 dairy farms with an average of 145 cows per farm.
- Indiana ranks second in the nation in low-fat and regular ice cream production.
- Hoosier milk production adds over $743 million of value to the state’s economy.
- Indiana ranks 14th in milk production
- Indiana Professional Dairy Producers
- The American Dairy Association of Indiana
- Indiana State Dairy Association
- National Dairy Council
- Dairy Management Inc.
- The Nationwide Economic Impact of Animal Agriculture
Source: ProExporter and Indiana Milk Promotions Services 2012 data